Heart-Healthy Farro Confetti Salad
This grain salad is a great option to make ahead of time and enjoy the whole week. With high fiber ingredients, such as farro, white beans, and heart-healthy olive oil, this dish may support your heart health and satisfy your hunger. Serving suggestions: top with a poached egg, or serve alongside some roasted chicken.
1 ½ cups Farro, or wheat berries
1/4 cup chopped brazil nuts
1 cup fennel, cored, finely chopped
½ cup dried cranberries, chopped
1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped (unsulphered, should be brown, not orange!)
1 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
1 cup chopped spinach
1.5 cans, drained, tuscan white beans (or cannellini)
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp mustard
Salt to taste (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup cheese crumbled goat cheese
Optional: if you have other vegetables on hand, you can easily add them to this salad. Chopped and boiled sweet potatoes, boiled green beans, and chopped boiled carrots are all delicious options.
1. In a large pot, combine the farro and enough water to come 2 inches over the farro. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 1 hour, or until tender. Drain and let cool.
2. Toast the brazil nuts in a dry medium skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine the cooked farro, nuts, cranberries, apricots, parsley, spinach, goat cheese, beans.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, salt, and pepper. Pour over the grain mix, and toss to combine.
5. Top with goat cheese and serve.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 565; Protein 19g; Carbohydrates 72g; Fiber 12g; Sodium 340g*; Total Fat** 24g; Saturated Fat 4.5g *Recipe prepared with no added salt. **Majority of fat from heart-healthy sources.
The NYPBeHealthy logo identifies healthy food options and recipes. These foods fit into a balanced diet that emphasizes a variety of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean proteins, and heart-healthy fats.